The aim: install marine current turbine fields all around the world using HydroQuest technology
Hydrokinetic technology applied to tidal currents:
- High worldwide potential: Marine hydrokinetic energy has an acknowledged worldwide potential of 100 GW, including 3 to 6 GW for France.
- High power: tidal current speeds can reach or exceed 5 m/s.
- Closeness to coast: strong currents often occur in shallow waters near coastlines, which makes turbine operation easier.
- Predictability: tidal currents are wholly foreseeable, only depending on the relative position of the moon and the local topographical situation.
HydroQuest and CMN(Constructions Mécaniques de Normandie): a powerful partnership
- In 2013, HydroQuest and Constructions Mécaniques de Normandie CMN, naval builders, joined forces to start building HydroQuest Ocean marine current turbines.
- In 2016, the two companies won the ADEME competition “Energies Renouvelables en Mer” (Marine renewable energies).
- In 2017, a demonstrator with a power output of 1 MW was installed on the EDF test site in Paimpol-Bréhat.
Illustration of modular concept on same site
Each hydrokinetic turbine unit can feature one or two levels, measuring up to 20 m in height.
Marine current turbinesHydroQuest Oceanmultiple benefits
- Excellent yield:
– Guaranteed energy efficiency through unique HydroQuest Ocean hydrokinetic turbine technology: crossflow turbines rotate around dual vertical axes fixed in a metal casing with advanced fairings.
– Two permanent magnet direct-drive alternators on the top of each column.
- Adapts to variable depths of seabeds:
– Units can feature one or two levels in the same farm: possible to install marine current turbines with different number of levels on the same farm, depending on the local topology.
– Ease of operation due to installation near coast.
– Units offer individual power output of 1 to 2 MW.
- Highly robust system:– All-metal construction for better resistance to impacts.
- Bidirectional operating system guaranteeing the unit remains immobile, unlike competitors:
– The dual vertical axis means there is no need to orient the unit to capture the current stream
– Excellent yield with no pitch or yaw
– Very low sensitivity to current stream orientation
- Dimensions and weight of turbine unit adapted to service boats built by CMN.
- Recyclable materials.